Ryland Homes - Legacy Ridge Overlook Patio Homes."UPDATES "

Punch list and more found, Update on Patio Home I was contacted by on of the CalAtlantic Personel,He ask me if the issues on my Catalog of a Punch List , was going?Ok,seems the list is getting done,theirs some other things like the Closet or Guest by the Front Door ,is missing a Hanger rod and shelf,maybe it's a upgrade,I don't think you use the floor,I could be wrong,a lot of time has past and the Snow and a Wheelchair aren't to compatible,so I feel like sometimes it used to their advantage,I hired a very good reputable contractor,whom is Finishing the basement. I can definitely see the Craftsmanship,it speaks for itself,and their is no comparison in work,I wish he would have built the whole house.

But the Patio Home isn't a Custom Home,or the cost would be over a million. The New person Don is a Plus ,,he does his best to resolve the Warranty Problems ,and some he has repaired on his own,I know he can't do everything I want done ,but at least he tries,and that means a lot,he is looking over a lot of Homes by himself,so I've learned to be more patient with the repairs on the home.The area is very nicely located and the Homes al have a veiew,some better than others ,of course,and Bike ,Walking trails are excellent for Wheelchairs and Electric Scooters designed for the Disabled.Not everything is done yet, it's a New Development,and theirs going to be Flaws,over time I think that all the repairs will be done on my Home and Neighborhood.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ryland Homes Customer Care.

Reason of review: They said my Punch List was going to be taken care of.

Ryland Homes - Kitchen Cabinet

I purchased my home in November, 2016 in Middletown, Delaware. I made my list of repairs before settlement, had an inspector inspect my home before settlement, blue taped every item before and after settlement, but I had two problems that took several attempts to correct and one remains uncorrected.

When my kitchen cabinets was installed, the contractor used one of them as a note pad to write on and it came through the paper and onto my cabinet. I was told by the project manager that they had to order a new door, this was November. In January I sent a email to the manager that assisted me with my purchase and I was told when the door came in, I would be notified. Now it is March, 2017 and the "Blue Tape" is still on my kitchen cabinet door..

I am submitting this review to let others know that even if you do everything right when purchasing a newly built home, the builders still will leave jobs incompleted.

I will submit a letter also to CalAtlantic/Ryland headquarters, to see if I can my new cabinet door installed. Bottom line, "Buyers be careful and stay on top of your builders no matter who they are ".

Product or Service Mentioned: Ryland Homes Customer Care.

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

Ryland Homes - CalAtlantic Homes at Canyon Falls summed up: Liars, Thieves. Don't do business with them, you will regret it.

Turnaround Time

CalAtltantic's sales conduct violated the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act ("DTPA") a consumer protection statute enacted to protect consumers from false, misleading and deceptive acts and practices. CalAtlantic violated the DTPA by failing to disclose information concerning goods or services which was known at the time and such failure to disclose such information was intended to induce us into the sales transaction into which we would not have entered had the information been disclosed.

Throughout the process, we were not communicated timely by our sales person, Cindy Miranda, had to make calls to the corporate office on multiple occasions in an attempt to get a response. We were told by their salesperson, Rachel, that there was no lot premium. We deposited $10,000 of refundable earnest money with CalAtlantic. After the refundable period for our deposit ended, Cindy Miranda told us that if we still wanted to build the preferred model that we would have to pay a $15,000 lot premium.

Additionally we needed to sign the contract without a chance to review it beforehand. Under duress of losing $10,000 we signed the sales contract. CalAtlantic did not sign-off on the correct list of options and upgrades. Once we had completed the design center process and chosen our upgrades and options, CalAtlantic signed off on the list without the low-voltage wiring upgrades.

We had to correct the list for them. At the meeting that showed them they signed the incorrect list, they asked for a check from us for $56,000. We were not told by them that we would have to pay for our options prior to closing. We would not have signed the contract had we known.

Additionally, the salesperson lied to us by telling us that they had already ordered the options; however, the regional manager, Kathy Kerr, told us if we didn't want some options then they just not be ordered. Sib Woehr, sales assoc., Trish Russell, loan officer, stated CalAtlantic does not refund earnest money to consumers. CalAtlantic has not responded either to me or my attorney. They will not accept phone calls from me or my attorney.

They do not respond to the demand letters and requests to speak with them by me or my attorney. The sales agent, Cindy Miranda, discriminated against my wife, who is Hispanic; Cindy Miranda would turn around and not acknowledge my wife when she would see her. CalAtlantic Homes representatives (Cindy Miranda, Kathy Kerr, Sib Woehler) lied to us on various occasions as to the price of items, the right to our deposit and how much money we would need. CalAtlantic was unresponsive and did not respond timely to our requests which allowed the escrow period to terminate so they could keep our earnest money deposit.

We feel like they violated the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and induced us into the contract by waiting until after the escrow period ended to respond to our communications, they withheld information, they did not communicate with us timely and they constantly misinformed us as to prices, availability, and contractual terms. We were not give a copy of our contract until after the escrow period had terminated. We were made to enter into the purchase contract under duress and threats that we would not get the lot and home model unless we signed the contract quickly without time for review. So basically, we were lied to, misinformed, not informed, discriminated (racial/ethnic) against, induced under duress, and ignored by CalAtlantic Homes.

I have attached the demand letter sent to CalAtlantic by our attorney, which was never responded to by CalAtlantic.

Additionally, CalAtlantic did not attempt to correct any of the violations against us, their policy is to ignore and hope that the unemployed family that they took $10,000 from will just go away. Additionally, Theresa Russell, Loan Officer NMLS 252780 from CalAtlalantic mortgages, and Sib Woehler both told me that CalAtlantic never returns escrow deposits, unless it is a VA loan, that it is a way for the Company to make extra money.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ryland Homes Customer Care.

Reason of review: Other issue.

I didn't like: Intimidating sales person.

Ryland Homes - POOR QUALITY, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE & FOLLOW-UP

The quality of our home is poor to start with but the lack of customer service is even worse. Warranty issues have gone unaddressed for months even with persistent phone calls and emails.

Either there is no upper management or they don't care if the people they hire do their job. We were told that our wall was crooked because sometimes walls need to be adjusted for piping. How about the construction plans allot for piping and the walls are straight?? The excuses that we have been given are unbelievable.

And those are only the few we could get responses back on! Do not invest with this company.

Ryland Homes - Again and again always excuses

Update by user Nov 04, 2016

Oops! this write up is not from Orlando, Florida. correction on city and state : Tampa, Florida

Original review posted by user Nov 03, 2016

I'm writing again about, how Ryland/CalAtlantic homes showing more excuses and devious way to excuse them self again out of doing the right thing.

Previously, I have written about the curb grading issues where every time either raining or neighbors watering their lawn will create standing water problem at front of my house.

As I have mentioned previously that curb grading (standing water) issue existed even before my family moved into a new house back in July 2015.

I have requested to have the curb fix before we move in but at that time construction manager and sales person promised me it will be fixed (trust me I have left orders to fix it as soon as possible) and told me to go ahead and sign the closing at hand at that time.

Now after one year and four months later, service personnel, apparently came out and took two pictures showing dry curb and email me saying they found it to be bone dry and will come again when rains, really after a year and four months and dozens of emails and phone calls she came out on a perfect condition day which now is in dry season (no rain for a month) and grass is going dormant so neighbors are not watering the lawn, of course, it's dry or I should say in their words bone dry.

Why don't they have an expert come out with laser level to measure the grading issue we are experiencing for the year and four months or just tell me when they are coming out to take another dried up curb so I could show them with water hose how water collects and forms standing water in front of the house.

All the times they told me will be back out again when rains, making excuses to not to fix the issues at hand. It's their tactic used over and over again for why please somebody figured them out.

I also mentioned before master bathroom shower floor buckling problem. Finally after few months after requesting warranty work, they send a plumber out and he completely rip out the floor and fixed it solid then here is the problem started they send out tile people to install one row of bottom wall tile which plumber had to remove to fix the floor and they did re-tile it and left and telling us it's ready to use. When I came home was surprise to find worst tile job ever in my life to date, tile on the wall is uneven by 1/4 inch (in and out) and no grout and no caulking, it was like CalAtlantic is harassing my family for requesting warranty service, like most of the review mentioned from different people CalAtlantic uses intimidating tactics and excuses to not to perform their obligations.

With much thinking on my part whether than go through huge hassle to hope for them to respond to this awful unfinished workmanship and may take another few months to come out and I will be out of shower in my bathroom, I decided to grout and caulk it myself and it is presentable only we know it's awful.

Hope my narrative helps those of you who are about to purchase a new fixer upper from CalAtlantic homes think then I have done my good deed.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Sue, Sue the company, To sue the company, Communication problem warranty service problem.

I didn't like: Worst warranty service or none, Customer service, Lack of knowledge, Cheap material used in expensive homes in, Poor quality.

Ryland Homes - Customer Care Review from Chicago Ridge, Illinois

Turnaround Time

Well nothing has changed with the grass... I'm still waiting on my grass issue..

But as you see in the pictures... We are dealing with stagnant water in a retention pond. They sent someone out to cut the weeds down but as you see in the picture all the debris is lying on top of the water.. Water is not moving nor are they putting in a sprinkler or a fountain to get the water circulating.

So my self and my neighbors cannot even go out as you see the size of the mosquitoes we are putting up with..

And the stagnant water is just a mosquito breeding grounds.. This is EDGEWATER SUBDIVISION in Crown Point IN

Ryland Homes - Ryland home will come apart if not painted

1.5
Turnaround Time

I bought a Ryland home 5 years back in Atlanta. Now outside wooden mold is coming out.

I submitted a service request but got an email reply without a visit from Ryland that wood mold is coming out because it was not painted. (So buyer beware a Ryland home will fall apart in 5 years if it is not painted.)

After several email voice mail and a warning for legal notice; finally got a rude service man name John Pytleski who was angry that why I threaten for a legal action.

He won't fix any issue but tell you that everything is your problem only not Ryland's. This is the first time I contacted Ryland for an issue which is clearly a bad quality of construction.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

I liked: Floor plan.

I didn't like: Quality, Customer service and warranty, Support and follow up inssues.

Ryland Homes - Landscape & Patio packages

Hampshire, Illinois
3.0
Turnaround Time

I waited 8 years to be able to buy a Ryland built house, I heard they were a great company and had wonderful customer support. Don't spend your money on a landscape package or cement patio off sliding doors.

I spent an additional $1400.00 of hard earned money to make my first Ryland home look polished from the street and have a patio off my back sliders so the dogs would not track mud into the house. When I had my walk-through second week of Oct 2013, the patio and landscaping were missing. They didn't even have my patio on the sheet but was told it would be laid before my move in the following week. It took til the end of Oct for the landscape about six/eight plants and trees to be planted - looked real nice til the frost came early and kill two of the shrubs.

Gentleman, Chris D?, that came out during my first year end review agreed the planting happened way past Ryland planting season and stated it would be taken care of the following spring (2014). It is now going into the spring of 2016 with no resolution. I even wrote to the president of Ryland Homes in California with no success! I even sent color photos of the problems.

I have tried writing, calling and even spoke to one of the general contractors about it numerous times and nothing. Oh yeah, the patio was poured and the supports were most likely taken out too early as there are gaps under the edges of the cement and jagged pieces around the edges. Again was promised it would be cared for, but still nothing. Still the way it was almost 2 1/2 years ago.

I love my house, but not so much the outside.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ryland Homes Customer Care.

I liked: Office real estate person.

I didn't like: Poor quality.

• Shoddy Work Late Planting Season

Comments

Update: 2018, Foxy323 here, it's been four years since I moved in. No one from Ryland Homes has ever contacted me regarding my complaint.

Buyers beware before purchasing landscape/patio packages. Ryland will take your money and run.

I would have settled for a portion of my original $1400.00, but nothing has ever been done to make my home look nice from the street. Ryland has now been bought by a new developer - I doubt they are looking to help out past home owners.

Ryland Homes - Ryland lied to me

1.3

I purchased a town home in the Norbeck Crossing Community 3 months ago. I found out last week that the 1 of 2 HVAC unit is not and still is not working properly. I found this out because Metcalfe Heating & Air called to schedule an appointment to replace a part. When I questioned as to whether they had the right address they said yes, and that they have been trying to schedule this repair for 6 weeks. I asked them how they got me phone #, they said Ryland gave it to them. I said to them that's odd because no one contacted me and I have been in the home since 8/24/15. I asked them when did they discover that they unit wasn't working properly, they said 8/6/15. When I contacted Tim Trask the property construction supervisor he said that it had been fixed. I asked him if someone signed off of the repair, he said nothing. When I questioned him farther he said don;t worry about it is under warranty and it will be taken care of. I told him that's wasn't the point, the point being I should have been made aware of issue prior to buying the house.

Tim Trask also lied to me when I questioned him about deliveries being made to the construction site. Mr Trask denied that Ryland would ever have deliveries made before 7 AM. There was a delivery made the week of 11/4 at 4:45 AM. I went outside at 4:50 AM to ask the driver what was being delivered, he said kitchen cabinets. I took pictures of the delivery truck and invoices left at the site, after they had finished their delivery. I emailed Mr. Trask to ask about deliveries being made at 4:45 AM, he said Ryland doesn't receive deliveries that early and that it must have been someone else in the community getting something delivered. I said that's odd because when I asked them what they were delivering they said kitchen cabinets, he had no response. I told him if he would like to see the pictures and delivery invoices I'd be happy to forward them to him which I did, I have never heard back for him.

I have forwarded this onto his boss, but I know nothing will be done about this.

Ryland is so not customer friendlier. They have no respect for the customer's after they sell them home. There is no communication with the home owners, building supervisor or home office. There response is, it under warranty , that to me show they don't care!!!

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER RYLAND PRODUCT AND YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICES AND SOMEONE WILLING TO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND WORK!!!!!!

Comments

Well jeez...How dare someone lie to you about deliveries...and then you get dramatic about it and hate on the company. Ok.

Ryland Homes - Terrible customer service at closing!!!

They basically make you use their mortgage company to get the "special" pricing. Everything was fine during the process (we bought a spec home that was within a month of being completed).

The closing was the problem. We had to drive an hour away from the community. Long story... but the internet was down, so they made us wait 2 hours (with no updates or effort to contact us) and we did not even end up getting the keys!!!

How can you take my cashier's check for multiple thousands of dollars and not release my keys???? Especially when you know that I live an hour away?? They were not apologetic at all. They even said that this same thing happens every month!!!

With all the money you made off of just ONE SALE - go buy some internet that works! Terrible experience!

I'm sure they do not care one bit that I now own a home that I don't have access to because they do not get paid based on customer satisfaction, but I want to warn anyone that comes across this to not use their title company to close! We did because it was the simplest solution in the process, but PLEASE shop around and use someone else if you want to avoid a terrible headache!

Product or Service Mentioned: Ryland Homes Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Closing.